Big Pink Bus
ACT supports Lone Star Circle of Care’s Big Pink Bus, a mobile unit providing mammography to underserved populations in Central Texas for more than twenty years. The Big Pink Bus provides free/low-cost screening mammograms across a six-county region, initially focused on serving high-risk women living in Bastrop, Caldwell, Travis, and Williamson Counties. Lone Star Circle of Care also provides patient navigation services to women needing diagnostic follow-up after abnormal screening results or treatment if a breast cancer diagnosis is made.
To be eligible for screening mammography onboard the Big Pink Bus, women must:
- Be age 40 and older
- Be uninsured, or have coverage from MAP, MAP Basic, or select commercial insurance
- Have not had a mammogram in the last 12 months
- Not be pregnant or breastfeeding
- Not be experiencing breast issues such as lumps, discharge, or pain
- Be able to independently walk up and down stairs
To schedule an appointment, please call 1-844-PINK-BUS.
The Big Pink Bus is a crucial component of our ability to reach women in outlying communities and find breast cancer in the most treatable early stages. In addition to Lone Star Circle of Care clinic sites, the Big Pink Bus travels to other health care providers and community-based partners to provide on-site screenings. For more information on hosting a Big Pink Bus screening event at your organization, please email us.
Would you like to personally invest in the work of ACT-CTX? We’d love to have you, and the best way to do that is to make a donation in support of The Big Pink Bus. It’s operated by Lone Star Circle of Care and you can click below to process your donation to the bus now. Thank you!
All donations through this link will go to Lone Star Circle of Care’s donation site, but will be targeted specifically to operations of the Big Pink Bus.
With the help of Ascension Seton supporting the transition process of the Bus moving from Ascension Seton to Lone Star, we were able to launch the Big Pink Bus in June 2021!
We are so grateful for all the donors and funder who have made this possible. Thank you for your support.
The investment that you and our other wonderful donors have made thus far established three years of commitments to fund the bus operations, equipment and remodel, and the exterior wrap. We set out to raise a goal of $2,000,000. We are delighted to share that with the generosity of individuals, organizations, foundations we have raised that $2M goal. Thank YOU!
Funding sources include:
- A combination of corporate, foundation and individual philanthropy.
- A $1M Cancer Prevention and Research Institute grant awarded to Dell Medical School for mobile mammography operations and research, of which $686,770 goes to two years of Big Pink Bus operations. This is not expected to renew.
- On-going fee-for-service reimbursement for screening and diagnostic services by the Texas Health and Human Services Commission for patients deemed eligible for the Breast and Cervical Cancer Services (BCCS) program.